Darkglass Microtubes X Bass Overdrive & Fuzz
The Microtubes X series brings the studio method producers have been using the years to cover the whole bass distortion spectrum: from articulate high gain to punchy mild overdrive, raw and gnarly fuzz and everything in between. You now have absolute control in constructing your vision of what the perfect bass distortion texture, definition, and size should have.
Distorting bass has always been a very challenging engineering endeavor: in order to achieve a punchy, and aggressive distortion that is also full and fat-sounding you need to reconcile two contradicting conditions:
The tightness comes from attenuating bass frequencies before saturation, which will also result in a very thin signal. But boosting the lows will result in additional, unwanted fuzz.
The Microtubes X is our solution to that problem in a very compact form: The signal is split by two variable low-pass and high-pass filters at the very very beginning. The high-pass
signal (mostly mids and treble) is distorted using CMOS circuitry, just like our older Microtubes pedals.
The low pass-signal (all bass) is left untouched. Letting the high side be all crunch, attack, and rich harmonics while mixing back the lows to add gargantuan size to the overall mix.
The result is virtually unlimited fullness, size, aggression, and definition, regardless of how old the strings, and boomy or thin instruments. The Microtubes X offers all of this in a compact form, with very few controls to tweak, making it almost impossible to dial wrong.
- High-pass frequency: Controls the cutoff frequency to be distorted, ranging from 100Hz (for thicker, fuzzier saturation) or 1kHz for ultra-sharp definition.
- Low-pass frequency: Controls the cutoff frequency to be mixed back to the high-pass side. Ranging from 50Hz (for only sub-bass) and 500Hz to preserve some clean mids.
- Level: Sets the overall output volume of the unit.
- Drive: Sets the amount of distortion for the high pass side.
- Mix: Sets the blend between low-pass and high-pass signals.
- Mids: Active mid control placed after the Mix control. +-12dB @ 500Hz.
- DIMENSIONS: 75x111x43 mm (2.95x4.37x1.77 in)
The Microtubes X has a current draw of 30mA. Only use a regulated 9V DC adapter with a center-negative plug. Due to ecological reasons, it does not accept batteries. Unregulated power supplies and/or higher voltages may result in suboptimal noise performance and even damage your unit, voiding the warranty.