Mesa Mini Rectifier 25 Amplifer Head 2.MR25
Iconic Rectifier Tone In An Ultra-Compact Design
Don't think for a moment that the Mini Rectifier is a trendy down-line toy or marketing-derived imitation of the mighty Recto. This is the real deal, and in every way, it is a high-end, hand-made all-tube amplifier.
Lurking within this expensive metal chassis, lies one of our most expressive and nuance-enhancing circuits to date and it creates an exciting, adrenaline-producing Tone machine… one of the most fun to play in the entire MESA collection.
Like its original two-channel forefathers, this Recto keeps things straight ahead and easy to navigate. This generation features two footswitchable Channels that each contain two Modes and while it looks basic and drives easy, a world of stylistic versatility lives within these two simple rows of controls.
Two Channels and Four Versatile Style Modes
Two independent channels and four style modes deliver everything from sparking cleans to aggressive fury. The Mini Rectifier’s Channel 1 focuses on rhythm sounds, both clean and overdriven.
The CLEAN Mode delivers sparkling, big headroom rhythm sounds that breathe with rich, warm air on the bottom end. When driven to clip and combined with the 10 watt Power setting, this Mode misbehaves with real attitude and shines for urgent, yet soulful, Blues solo sounds and furry Rock rhythm.
PUSHED aptly describes what to do with the second Mode in Channel 1 and here you'll find the next region of gain. With a more stripped EQ and just enough added drive, PUSHED invites aggressive Rock rhythm and Crunch styles to the party and even taunts your mid-gain solo work, especially in the 10 Watt Power setting.
Channel 2 features the iconic Recto high gain sounds - the iconic liquid wall of VINTAGE and the aggressive fury of MODERN. VINTAGE excels at thick, high gain chording and single note soloing with an elastic feel and a broad harmonic spread. It has a looser, more organic sound and the overdrive drapes itself around the notes creating a huge, three-dimensional image.
VINTAGE solo work is further enhanced by the 10 Watt Power position. Here, the attack envelope changes and becomes rounder and more voice-like, while upper harmonics recede slightly to create single-note sounds of true beauty. VINTAGE and 10 Watt complement each other in ways that will open new doors for the Recto that were previously open only to more well-behaved or "cultured" amps. It may also open wide the eyes of current big-power Recto owners who experience for the first time - what this power range/wiring style does for a sound they had typecast. This is a new and exciting face of Recto and it will surely expand its stylistic footprint.
MODERN is the opposite in every way. This aggressive Mode comes right at you - maybe even for you - with stunning attack and a hi-mid bump that keeps things percussive and tracking with hyper-accuracy. It's hard to believe that this amount of gain can be infused and yet still deliver - especially in bass frequencies - with this much speed and definition. But this is pure Recto and MODERN contributes an equal part to achieving its status as the other most recorded sound in Rock. Needless to say, MODERN is all about all things Heavy and Metal. And while this sound is best demonstrated using the 25 Watt Power setting, be sure not to typecast MODERN too quickly. Using the 10 Watt Power setting to sweeten the mids and soften the attack here, shows another side to MODERN as well that's more forgiving and vocal, creating a great alternate solo voice with a little more punch and dynamic content.
Multi-watt Power Offers A Unique Rectifier Tone Experience
We keep saying it, but it's hard to overstate the value, effectiveness and stylistic "power" of the Multi-Watt Channel Assignable Power switches. These dedicated wattage range choices unveil different power characteristics and colors – so they are really also power "voicing" switches as well. In this Recto, the choice of EL84 power tubes with their amazing clip characteristics prompted us to explore the different wiring schemes possible.
This experimentation led to the 10 Watt power mode being wired for Triode operation. This "more vintage" wiring scheme sweetens and rounds out the sound, turning what might otherwise be a lower volume version of the same voice, into a more "soulful" Recto experience.
The 25 Watt setting offers a more bold attack, tighter tracking low end, increased definition and all-out headroom. This setting works great with all the sounds and certainly showcases the mightiness in the Mini Rectifier, shocking unsuspecting players and bystanders alike with power and sonic size. But any time you need to tame this little beast and put a vintage patina of warmth and silkiness around things… kick down to 10 Watts and enjoy a whole new and different world of Recto expression.
Series Effects Loop For Purists
The Mini Rectifier benefits from more than four decades of high-performance amp design and the Effect Loop featured in this amp is the result of that experience and expertise. The Effects Loop is wired in series with the dry signal to provide the greatest flexibility with the widest variety of FX devices – This FX Loop circuit, when used with quality FX is capable of providing seamless interfacing with no tonal degradation.
Experience Tone and Power that far exceed your expectations and completely defies the confines of its physical size. Whether you're rockin' hard or putting the immense versatility of the Mini's four Modes to bear on a variety of styles, you'll get years of inspiration and enjoyment from this little gas-in-glass-powered jewel. We always strive to build classics, icons that you'll treasure amongst your most valuable musical instruments. From the feedback we've received thus far… it seems the Mini Recto is on its way toward achieving that status. Try a Mini Rectifier Twenty-Five and see just how big 12 pounds can sound.
- Build Location: Hand-Wired In Petaluma, CA with the World's Finest Materials
- Wattage: Multi-Watt 10 or 25 (Channel Assignable)
- Power Tube Type: 2x Mesa EL84
- Channels & Modes: 2 Channels / 4 Modes
- Mode Voicings / Styles: Ch. 1 = Clean or Pushed
- Ch. 2 = Vintage or Modern
- Graphic EQ / Reverb / FX / Solo FX Loop
- Footswitchable Functions: Ch. 1/2
- Weight 12 Lbs.
- Dimensions: 5 7/8" H x 12 5/8" W x 6 3/4" D
- Amp Type: Tube
- Chassis Material: Aluminum
- Rectifier Type: Silicon Diodes
- Preamp Tubes: 5x Mesa 12AX7
- Power Amp Tubes: 2x Mesa EL-84
- Maintenance Free Fixed Bias: Yes
- Power Amp Details (Class & Wattage): Mesa's Patented Multi-Wattâ„¢ (Patent 7,602,927) Power Amp, featuring Dyna-Wattâ„¢ technology, providing two power levels, each with different wiring configurations (Pentode/Triode) via two 10/25 Watt Power Switches: Choose from 2 power tubes operating in Class A/B Triode for lush harmonics and a sweet, liquid feel at lower volumes, producing 10 Watts or; 2 tubes operating in Mesa's proprietary Dyna-Watt Class A/B Pentode for maximum power, punch and clarity, producing 25 Watts
- Convection or Fan Cooling: Convection
- Number of Footswitchable Channels (or Modes): Two Channels
- Number of Style Modes: Four
- Number of Style Modes Per Channel: Two
- Types of Style Modes Per Channel: Ch. 1 = Clean or Pushed
- Ch. 2 = Vintage or Modern
- Channel Controls: Each Channel features Independent 2-Position Style Mode Switch, 10/25 Watt Multi-Watt Switch, Gain, Treble, Mid, Bass, Presence and Master Control
- Effects Loop & Bypass Options: Fully Buffered Series FX Loop
- Speaker Outputs: One 8 Ohm and One 4 Ohm
- Height: 5 7/8"
- Width: 12 5/8"
- Depth: 6 3/4"