PRS HDRX 50 All Tube 50w Guitar Amplifier Head
Designed to push the high-end so it is very clear, but not so much that it’s harsh, the PRS HDRX shines without glaring and allows for aggression that can be backed off for smooth, sweet tones. The PRS HDRX 50 is driven by a pair of EL34EH power tubes, the best pre-amp tubes available, and a custom-designed Straight Edge output transformer. The HDRX 50 mimics the 100 watt power supply while using its own custom 50-watt transformer, which makes it much closer in output and tonal character to the 100 watt amplifier than a normal 50 watt amp. The power supply and filament design also make the HDRX remarkably quiet with little to no amp “hum or hiss.”
The PRS HDRX 50 features a 3-band TMB tone stack, 3-way bright switch, high-mid gain switch, and presence controls. These features mirror the historic amp and give players flexibility and increased control of their tone. The PRS HDRX 50 is also designed with internally bridged channels with individual volume controls. This eliminates the need for a jumper cable (historically used on the outside of the amp) and allows players to more easily dial in their distortion level and tone by blending the lead and bass channels’ individual volume controls, bringing more modern convenience to the amp.
Made in PRS Guitars Stevensville, Maryland, USA factory, PRS HDRX 50 amps are an exhaustive recreation of tone, a celebration of history, and a mon- ument to modern technology. PRS has also designed matching 2x12 and 4x12 cabinets for the HDRX Amp family. Loaded with modified Celestion G12H-75 Creamback speakers, these cabinets push and punch to complete the package.
“Designing the PRS HDRX was not an exercise in over-engineering – it’s a fairly straightforward build with the right parts and circuit. We kept historic specs where it made sense, and we made substitutions based on availability, safety, and experience. In the end, I think we have made a great-sounding amplifier with exceptional build quality and enough power to blow your pantleg when you play it,” Paul Reed Smith.
Please note: This is a vintage stock volume amp. PRS recommends using a volume attenuator with these amplifiers. There are several good choices on the market. PRS recommends the Koch Loadbox LB120 II. Please note, these come in 16 and 8 ohm versions; make sure the resistance matches the cabinet being used.
- Wattage: 50
- Front Panel Controls: Channel 1 Controls - Bass Volume with common Presence, Bass, Middle, Mid Gain (on/off), Treble, Lead Volume, Bright (Off, Bright 1, Bright 2)
- Channel 2 Controls - Lead Volume with common Presence, Bass, Middle, Mid Gain (on/off), Treble, Bright (Off, Bright 1, Bright 2), Bass Volume
- Inlet: Fused Power Inlet (IEC)
- Bias: Adjustable
- Extension Speaker Jacks: 5
- Ohm Switching: (2) 4 ohm, (2) 8 ohm, (1) 16 ohm
- Covering: Black Tolex
- Piping: Black
- Output Transformer: Straight Edge 50 Watt Output
- Power Tubes: 2x New Sensor EL34EH
- Preamp Tubes: 3x JJ ECC803S
- Preamp Tube Positions & Functions: V1: Input, V2: Cathode Follower, V3: Phase Inverter
- Amp Width: 21.5", Amp Depth: 10", Amp Height: 10"
- Amp Weight: 34.4 lbs